Saturday, January 5, 2008

[album] Girls' Generation: Girls' Generation



Artist: 소녀시대 (Girls' Generation)
Album: 소녀시대 (Girls' Generation)
Released: 2007/11/01
Label: Seoul Records

*1. 소녀시대(Girls’ Generation): This is their title song, and it's a remake of Lee Seung Chul's 1989 hit song by the same name. When I first heard about about it, I was curious to see how it would turn out, especially since the original singer is a guy and the song is from the late 80's! I think the song was rearranged very well. The song now sounds refreshing, which I think fits perfectly with Girls' Generation's image. I think fans of the original version would also enjoy this remake. The tune is catchy and I think this song is a great choice for a title song.

2. Ooh La-La!: This song is really upbeat and you can just hear the cuteness. I think normally this type of song is too cute or too pop-ish for my taste, but for some reason, I find myself listening to it again and again. Some might describe this as a generic bumble gum pop song, but I find the melodies and beats to be very charming and cheerful.

3. Baby Baby: I think this is one of those songs that you appreciate when you listen to it a few more times. When I first heard this song, I thought it was pretty easy to listen to, but I didn't really think much about it. After a few more listens, I find that it is a very sweet song, and the chorus is especially addicting.

*4. Complete: A mid-tempo ballad that just simply shows the voices of Girls' Generation. It's a pretty song, and their voices are lovely in this. The voices of each member really complement each other. They don't need a song with complicated melodies or beats, just something simple like Complete really lets their voices shine through.

5. Kissing you: The melody and rhythm in this song really makes it stand out. I really like how they sing this song, it's like they are really singing this to a boyfriend. It has a really pleasant melody that when paired with the girls' voices, it makes a really for a sweet and charming song.

*6. Merry-go-round: The harmonization in this song is simply lovely. I think this is a good example of a Girls' Generation song that really shows their charm and what makes them appealing to audiences. When I listen to this song, I can feel the pleasant feeling that this song creates. It's just such a nice song to listen to.

7. 그대를 부르면(Tears): This ballad is nice to listen to, and their voices really evoke the emotions that this song is about. There is a good balance between the melody and the voices of the girls, so their voices are heard clearly in this song. I think it's a typical ballad, but they really performed well in it.

8. Tinkerbell: I really like the intro of this song, it really sets the tone for the entire song. It's a nice and sweet song, which is I fits with the image that Girls' Generation are trying to project to the audience. The way they sing 'Tinkerbell' is really cute!

*9. 7989: A duet between Girls' Generation leader TaeYoun and former H.O.T member KangTa, who both belong to the SM talent agency. This song is really a KangTa-type of song, in my opinion. It's no surprise to me that he wrote, composed, and arranged this song. The song is about a couple with a 10-year age difference, which is also the age difference between TaeYoun and KangTa. It's a cute song about how this age gap really makes a difference in how they interact with each other. Their voices harmonize together very well, and they sound good together. It's a charming song, I really like it! (I may be biased, since I'm a huge fan of KangTa, but still, it's a cute and sweet song.)

10. Honey(소원): This song can be described as a mid-tempo dance music. It was included in their single Into The New World under a different name 'Perfect For You.' I don't know why they changed the name, but it's the same song. The girls' voices sound especially clear and sweet in this song. I really like the background melody, it gives the song a bright and charming feeling.

*11. 다시 만난 세계(Into the new world): This is an energetic pop dance song that was their first single. I can really feel that this song embodies the passion and energy that Girls' Generation wants to bring to their audience. I think this is a perfect song for Girl's Generation, because it's very youthful and catchy.

*Stephanie's pick for must-hear songs

Rating: 9/10

I think Girls' Generation's first album is a good debut album. Some of the songs I think are a bit like generic pop songs, but I don't really have any complains, since their songs fit perfectly with the image they want to project. Their songs really fit within that image: charming, youthfulness, and energetic. Girls' Generation is a group that's targeted towards those in their pre-teen or teenage years, so I think that image is perfect for that purpose. Most importantly, their songs are very catchy and easy to listen to, which I think is important for a first album, so everyone will keep their songs in mind and will want to hear more about them.

(image credit to Shenyue)

No comments: