Sunday, January 13, 2008

[album] SM Town 2007 Winter: Only Love


Artist: SM Town 2007 Winter
Album: Only Love
Released: 2007/12/07
Label: SM Entertainment


1. 사랑 하나죠 (ONLY LOVE) - SM TOWN: For their title song, I expected SM Town's typical but catchy winter songs, but this was a nice surprise. I guess they wanted a change from their usually fast-paced winter songs, so they went with something with a slower pace. This is a nice song, but I have to say that it's not as catchy as their previous winter songs. However, after a few listens, I think that I've really grown to like this song.

2. 12월 27일 (On DECEMBER 27th) - BoA: I think BoA usually has awesome winter ballads, and this song is not an exception. It might not be Meri Kuri or Winter Love, but I think it's a pretty good song.

3. Evergreen - DBSK: I really like the intro of this song and I think they did a great job with the instruments that they used. They have great vocals here, but I have to say this song doesn't really stand out that much to me. It's a nice song, but I think it's easily forgettable, though it might change with a few more listens.

4. 첫눈이 와 (First Snow) - Super Junior: From the first listen, this song reminds me a bit of the typical song SM Town releases for their winter album. It's fast paced, catchy, cheerful, and has a really nice melody. However, I wished Super Junior could have done something a bit different, as I've often heard this kind of song before.

*5. We Wish You A Merry Christmas & Feliz Navidad - CSJH: One word: AWESOME. Their a cappella version of We Wish You A Merry Christmas is just fantastic. They're just so good at singing a cappella, and this song really shows their talents. Feliz Navidad is a good follow up, and their vocals are still top notch here, but to me, We Wish You A Merry Christmas really overshadows it, and I wished it was a bit longer!

*6. Winter Wonderland - Kangta: I may be biased when I say this, but Kangta can do no wrong in my eyes. I love, love, love his version of Winter Wonderland. It's a bit jazzy, and I think it really fits with his voice. I think he really did a great job with this song, and it really puts me in a good mood.

7. Love Melody - Girls' Generation: Like Super Junior's song, this song also reminds me a bit like SM Town's usual winter songs. Also, this song is very much a Girls' Generation-kind of song. I love these girls, but I would love to see them trying out something new. It's a catchy and cheerful song, but I think it's a bit too typical.

*8. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - Hyun Jin: This is one of my favorite Christmas song, and Hyun Jin sang it so beautifully. She has such a lovely and rich voice which is perfect for this song. I really fell in love with her voice in this song, and she should release more songs!

9. 눈꽃이 날리면 (When snow scatters…) - Choo Ka Yul: I'm not too familiar with this artist, except for the fact that he appears in SM Town compilation albums every year. I would say this a kind of easy-listening song, and I would think it appeals more to adults, but because it has this calming and relaxing feeling, this song is something that everyone can enjoy.

*10. Oh Holy Night - Zhang Liyin: Simply beautiful. She still sings in Korean with bit of a Chinese accent, but I think that's easily overlooked. I think this song is perfect for her strong and delicate voice. The chorus is just breathtaking. She really shines in this song, and I can't help but fall in love with her voice again.

*11. 유년의 크리스마스 (Christmas of Childhood) - Song Kwang Shik: This is an instrumental, and it's very fitting with the winter and Christmas season. The arrangement of this song is very lovely, and I can feel a lot of emotion from this instrumental. Sometimes you don't need words, and this song really touches my heart.

12. [Bonus Track] 여행기 (TRAVELING) - DBSK: They've released this song before, and I really like it. I like their voices here, and this song is just really nice and pretty catchy.


*Stephanie's pick for must-hear songs


Rating: 8/10

I think the songs that really stand out in this album are the traditional Christmas songs. I guess you can't go wrong with the original Christmas carols. They've really done a good job singing their own versions of the traditional Christmas songs, and I have to say those are my favorite songs on this album. I think they've done a good job in picking which song goes well with which artist. And the title song is a nice change of style from their previous albums. Overall, I think this album is worth it for the traditional Christmas songs. I can't help to keep repeating that they really, really did great job singing these original Christmas songs.

(image credit to bww2 forums)

No comments: