Tuesday, January 8, 2008

[album] Jay Chou: On The Run


Artist: 周杰倫 (Jay Chou)
Single: 我很忙 (On The Run)
Released: 2007/11/02
Label: JVR Music


*1. 牛仔很忙 Cowboy On The Run (Niu Zai Hen Mang): Who ever thought country music and Jay Chou would ever mix? I don't normally listen to country music, but if anyone can make country music sound good, it has to be Jay Chou. It's a fast-paced song, and it reminds me of the cowboys of the west. This song has really grown on me since I first listened to it. I never thought I would enjoy a Western-country song, it's just too bad it's a bit short!

*2. 彩虹 Rainbow (Cai Hong): The acoustic guitar background at the beginning of this song is lovely. It's a very melodic song, and I really like Jay Chou's vocals here. I think he sounds a bit different; perhaps he is trying out a new method of singing, but I like it! Beautiful song.

*3. 青花瓷 Blue Vase (Qing Hua Ci): Track 3 is his 中國風 (Zhong Guo Feng, literally meaning China wind) song. Each of his albums will have one song with traditional Chinese instruments, it's one which I really look forward to hearing each time. It's a really nice song, and it reminds me of old Chinese films.

4. 陽光宅男 Sunshine Homeboy (Yang Guang Zhai Nan): It's a kind of surprising to hear this type of upbeat pop-rock songs on Jay Chou's album. I say surprising because it's not a type of song you would expect from Jay Chou, but he surprises me! Some people have said this is like a Mayday song, and I do agree with them, it does sound like something they would write. I guess Jay Chou is really into trying new musical styles with this album, and I think this type of song works for him.

*5. 蒲公英的約定 Dandelion's Promise (Pu Gong Ying De Yue Ding): This is a slow song with a melody that breaks your heart. I love the piano in the background and how it complements Jay Chou's vocals in this song. I think ballads are his strong and solid songs, and this is no exception.

6. 無雙 Unparalleled (Wu Shuang): I would say this is a typical Jay Chou alternative-rock kind of song, as he has done something similar in earlier albums. This is nothing new from Jay Chou, but I do like the background melody.

7. 我不配 I'm Not Worthy (Wo Bu Pei): Classic Jay Chou ballad. This is the type of song I would associate with Jay Chou, it's really his style. It's a nice song, but it sounds too much like something from his previous albums.

8. 扯 Pull/Ripping (Che): An R&B track with rapping. I like the intro to this song. The beat is really catchy and I find myself having this song on repeat. I've never really been much of a fan of Jay Chou's rapping, but I really like this one.

9. 甜甜的 Sweetness (Tian Tian De): Like the title of this song, I would describe this song as full of sweetness. It's a very happy, cheery, and upbeat song. I think this song is definitely a pop song, and it just seems very cute. I love the little sound effects of kissing like *chuu*. I would never expect a Jay Chou song to be described a sweet or cute, but I can't help but smile when I listen to this song.

*10. 最長的電影 The Longest Movie (Zui Chang De Dian Ying): I've always loved Jay Chou's piano playing, and I really like it in this song. I like Jay Chou's vocals in this song. The combination of the piano and his vocal just makes me swoon. My favorite type of Jay Chou songs are slow ballads, and I think this is a good one.

*Stephanie's pick for must-hear songs

Rating: 8/10

With this new Jay Chou album, we can see him trying out new musical styles, and it does seem like he is going in a different musical direction as his previous albums. The album as a whole is okay, but the individual songs are good by themselves. I say this because what I've always liked about his albums is that each song in the album really fits like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, and the completed puzzle is his album. While I do like the songs individually, this album doesn't really have songs that fit together like a jigsaw puzzle. I do think it's a good album from Jay Chou, and although the songs are good, I feel like he could have done better on this album. Maybe I'm just biased, but his earlier albums are my favorites, and I really, really love his earlier songs. Having said that, I think with this album is still good, maybe not as good as his earlier works, but I think I'll enjoy listening to it for the next few weeks.

(image credit to Yesasia)

No comments: