Monday, January 14, 2008

[album] Da Mouth: Da Mouth



Artist: 大嘴巴 (Da Mouth)
Album: 大嘴巴 (Da Mouth)
Released: 2007/11/16
Label: Universal Music

1. The Starting 4: This is an upbeat introduction track that introduces the band. I think this track is a great start to the album, because it not only introduces the members of the band, but it also sets the tone for the rest of their album.

*2. Kao Guo Lai / 靠過來: This is such a great song to dance to. There is a lot of rapping in this song, but everything fits together with the awesome beat and rhythm. I liked this song at my first listen, and I still like it.

3. Get You Back: I love the beat of this song! It's a song with an RnB feel to it, and I really like the instruments that they play in the background. The lyrics to the rapping part sounds a bit silly, but otherwise, a pretty good song.

*4. Jie Guo Lie / 結果咧 Intro: An intro to the next song. I don't know why a song needs an intro, because they could have just added it to the beginning of the song. But it's pretty short, and it goes right into the song.

*5. Jie Guo Lie / 結果咧: I love this song. It may have been overplayed, but I still love it. This was one of the first songs I heard from them. It has a catchy phrase, it has a good beat, and it's just so funky and upbeat. This whole song is awesome, from the rapping, the vocals, the beat, and the melody. Even after listening to this song a million and one times, I don't think I'll get sick of it anytime soon.

6. Step On The Beat: Another song that I think follows the funky tone that Da Mouth has set for their album. At first it may not be as catchy as 結果咧 (Jie Guo Lie), but after a few listens, I've grown to like this song. There's just something about the melody that really appeals to me, and I think the rapping is done really well.

*7. Wo Yuan Yi / 我願意: This song has a smoother sound that previous tracks on their album. It's also a slower song, but I think the melody and beat of this song is awesome. I really like the instrumental in the background. I think that's what stands out in this song.

8. Wo Jiu Shi Xi Huan Ni / 我就是喜歡你: When I first heard this song, I thought it was a bit of a departure from their previous songs. It's a bit more pop-ish compared to the previous tracks, and this song really could belong on a boy band's album. My favorite part in this song is the short instrumental in the middle of this song.

9. Mr. Cool Boy: This song starts out with a loud and strong beat. It's a mostly instrumental strong save for the bit of Japanese voice-over at the beginning. I guess this is a song for the DJ Zhong Hua to shine, but too bad it's a bit short.

10. Da Zui Ba / 大嘴巴: This song has a funky beat, and the chorus is pretty catchy. Again, I really like the beat of this song, and the rapping is also pretty well done. I think the chorus the the standout of this song, but I'm also liking the intro of the song.

*11. 119: This song is one of the first songs I first heard from them. I think it may also be overplayed, like 結果咧 (Jie Guo Lie), but the reason for that is because it's so catchy. It's no doubt that the chorus will stay on your mind after listening to this song. I love the beat of this song, it's funky and very well done. I also like the vocals here. I simply can't stop listening to this song!

12. Wu Ke Qu Dai / 無可取代: This song is a nice change from all the faster and more upbeat songs. It's a slow song, and really showcases the vocals of the two main singers. My favorite part would be the last part of the song, where you can hear the two voices together.

*13. Huai Qiu / 懷秋: This is another slow song, and I think the voices of the vocalist really shine in this song. They also make use of good background melody that really complements the vocalists' voices. It's just a really nice song to listen to as well.

*Stephanie's pick for must-hear songs

Rating: 8/10

Da Mouth's first album is a very well made album. I think they've got a really good combination of funky songs that is really fitting with their image, and they've balanced it out with a few slower songs. I am very, very impressed with this album. I think they can really bring something new and different into the Taiwanese and cpop music business. However, I think that their voices are only about average, but this is something which they could improve in time. They also know how to use their voices well in their songs. Also, Aisa's Mandarin really has an accent that can be a bit hard to understand at times, but I think she has really improved on it a lot. They've really made an awesome first album.


(image credit to Yesasia)

No comments: